The Bad Mother's Escape - Part 1 of 3
Long post Alert
Preface
The following post is about my last journey from my marital
home in Jammu to my sister’s place in Chennai; I describe in detail everything
that happened in those 48 hours of travel, the voices of my inner critic and
guide, and my wavering thoughts and feelings during the whole time.
A good question to
ask oneself before producing a work of labour/ sharing personal matters is, “Why
do it?”. Upon asking that to myself I arrived at two things; 1. Such a catharsis
will clear my mental space for better things and 2.one man’s experience is
another man’s lesson. At a time when the internet was all I had for help, it
was the blog posts of psychologists and the comments of survivors around
the world that helped me gain clarity, hope and strength. I trust that this attempt to
perpetuate the goodwill reaches the person in need.
Disclaimer
I speak of Jammu and Punjab only to highlight the distance and the cultural differences that I encountered and not to spark off a North vs South debate. There are all kinds of people everywhere.
Since this is my personal story, I write from a woman's perspective. But narcissists and their victims come from both the genders.
Introduction
Pacified by the
promises of my Mr. Perfect boyfriend Rahul (name changed), I took a giant leap of faith
and landed in Jammu to be married into a Punjabi family as the Badi bahu (eldest daughter -in-law). The fleeting romance of college days turned
into excruciating marital/ familial discord. There was something odd about the atmosphere at home, the vibe was very unnerving. Unlike the movies, life doesn’t come
with background music to help you gauge the seriousness of the situation. I
carried on in the assumption that everything will eventually be fine and never
missed an opportunity to prove my devotion to my new family, but in
vain. In the pretence of giving me sufficient rest from household chores, my
mother-in-law formula fed my son, rocked him to sleep, played with him and told
him stories thereby curbing me from all methods of establishing a bond with my
baby. Two years into the marriage, a psychologist pointed out that I am not
evil, incapable, or insane but am being subjected to Narcissistic Abuse.
As I
learnt about it from the internet, I left no stone unturned in becoming the
perfect wife, mother, and daughter-in-law; I believed that my case is not as
hopeless as what the internet says and hence anticipated redemption. By the
time of our fifth anniversary almost 3 of Rahul’s female cousins got married,
regardless of their efficiency their family treated them with love and respect
while my character was slowly and steadily being assassinated in the community;
so much so that people felt sorry for Rahul. This realization of unfair
treatment meted out to me made me almost quit my marriage, but my decision was
met with the criticism of being a bad and irresponsible mother. So, I chose to
follow the advice of remaining in the marriage for my son’s well-being. Of course,
the innocent child should not have to pay for my problems. I continued for
another 3 and half years in Jammu with low self-esteem, shattered confidence,
and stress induced ailments.
Initially a hands-on
father, Rahul’s parenting style became increasingly toxic as my son grew older.
His every move was instructed and monitored. The child was screamed at for any minor misbehaviour, his diet was according to Rahul’s whim and
fancy. Rahul and my in laws felt threatened by my son’s growing fondness for me
and that would result in random meaningless accusations aimed at the 7-year-old
for not loving them enough. The child’s
gut was probably sensing the unnerving vibe too because he often suffered from
indigestion. I felt helpless for not being able to provide him even half of the
rollicking childhood experiences I had. Is this what good mothers do? Meekly
let their child live a substandard life knowing full well that they are adequately
educated and competent enough to change things for the better?!
Strong people empower others, weak people
manipulate, control, and walk over others in a frenzy to inflate their egos;
precisely what Rahul and my in-laws were doing. What good will it do to raise my son in such
an environment? As I contemplated on this, I also discovered my husband’s
infidelity. Push had come to shove by now. Upon confrontation, my husband wore
a tired look and asked me to stop imagining things, he refused to engage in the
conversation and went about his business. I never felt lonelier. Conversation is the easiest
form of companionship; honesty is the simplest form of love and closure is the basic
form of respect. Apparently, I was getting none of that……only more and more of
the godawful lies and gaslighting. His friends’ wives advised me to stop
doubting him and his relatives did not want to involve in family politics. If I
have no one to turn to……if I must deal with things by myself…… why not do it
the way I deem fit?
Putting up with a dysfunctional
marriage sucks a lot of life out of you. I was growing old faster. My
irritability was an indicator of my low reserves of energy. I decided to put whatever left over energy to good use and get the hell out of my marriage, and yes, my baby
goes with me!
To be continued....

Comments
Post a Comment